Monday 16 May 2016

How can you hate cherry blossom?

Next doors cherry tree has been mentioned several time since we moved. My family do not understand why it is such a problem; it only blocks the sun for the first hour or two of the day and then it flowers. Surely that is a good thing.

Well I give you exhibit 1:


Not convinced yet?

Exhibit 2:


Exhibit 3:


Do you get the picture? Not my lovely tidy, spotless rockery.

It is much worse than previous year, normally I manage to wait until the blossom is all down and then go around and clean up. This year I was a bit worried about the amount of rain and problems with the fungus returning.

So what do you do?  Get the vacuum cleaner out of course. I am not sure who was more surprised my OH or the little girl next door who asked why I was vacuuming the plants.

It's not perfect but at least the worst is out of the centre of the main plants.


Thankfully it's now almost over, a couple more days and all the blossom will be off the tree and I can do a final clean up. At that point I remove as much as possible off the gravel and hope the rest degrades quickly.

Next year I will have to net the area for a couple of weeks.

I am not looking forward to cleaning this one up!


In the mean time I am hoping the people here will be more understanding of why I dislike (insert much stronger words) this tree.

4 comments:

  1. I agree w/you... When my camphor tree drops it leaves, its a mess too.. You need a severe wind storm to get rid of the blossoms.. at least leaves will move more easily than blossoms...I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as long as we don't get too much rain it should be ok to clear up. The blossom seems to glue the agaves after they get wet.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain as well! In the front garden it's the neighbors dogwood tree that drops a similar carpet of pink petals, in the back garden it's the male cones from the tall fir trees. Those are particularly frustrating because they fall for the duration of the summer. After a good windstorm it's massive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to here you have neighbours trees as well. Hopefully at least they look nice for you when they are not dropping mess on your plants.

      Delete