Monday 27 April 2015

Spring Alpines: part 1.

This is a great time of year for the alpines; lots of flowers and the sempervivums are waking up. Over the last few years I have been adding named forms to my collection and have been keeping track of how they perform. Some

Some like S.'Titania' look great right now and make you think they have grown loads. (Photo below taken yesterday)


Until you look back at the summer photos and see that they have actually lost lots of leaves and actually look their best later in the summer. (Photo below taken last August)


Often you buy the at this time of year and they look spectacular, like S. 'Rosie' (photo taken yesterday)


So lush and a great colour, sadly it doesn't last and being alpines they may not like summer sun and lack of water. (Next photo taken last August)



Then you have the ones those that look good in summer, like S. 'Virgil' (next photo taken last august)


You think they look good all year only to see their spring colour, which really blows you away (next photo taken yesterday).


Finally you have the ones that look good all year and just keep growing. S.'Lion King' was slow to get going but has settled in now.


No matter which group they fit in, at this time of year they are all sending out runners with new plants on. Some snake out long distances, S. 'Lively Bug' sends out some of the longest. These are just getting started and will be two to three times as long in the end.


Others cluster their offsets forming tighter and tighter clumps. S. 'Green Dragon', is one of my favourite clumps right now.


And sometimes it is just good to look at them. This is S. 'Ohio Burgundy'


2 comments:

  1. I am amazed with your ability to track the names and changes. I knew my sempervivum changed a lot over the year but I had no idea some of them could be this drastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to take two photos a year of most of my plants, especially ones I want to follow progress on. I should do a post on how I track changes in plants and if anyone else does.

      Delete