Wednesday 2 July 2014

A new home for the sempervivuvms

The in-laws coming to stay, three birthday parties and a 50th wedding anniversary party all meant it was not a very productive weekend in the garden. The great thing about it's current state though, is that I can now potter around doing little jobs, or just water and weed the pots. So in between everything I got the alpine section of the rockery planted up.


I decided in the end to make it a home for some of the sempervivums I have accumulated over the last few years. It looks a bit empty at present as they have been given space to fill out, but in a year or so should look good.

I have selected some of my favourite varieties and it is good to get them out of their pots and give them a bit of space.
Sempervivum 'Engles'
Sempervivum 'Green Dragon'
Sempervivum 'Apple Blossom'
Sempervivum 'Lavender and Old Lace'
Sempervivum 'Rosie'
Sempervivum 'Virgil'
I have put some of the big boys in as well to see how they do with space

Sempervivum 'Orthello'
Sempervivum 'Packardian'
Sempervivum 'Titania'
There was also room one of the dwarf pines, it gives a bit of variety and will provide shade from the strongest of the summer sun. Apparently it only grows to 3 - 4 feet and should take a long time to get there.


No doubt I will add more rocks of smaller sizes and swap out any of the sempervivums that don't perform. There is also one more alpine to go in, my alpine nemesis scleranthus biflorus


Having failed twice in pots, I am hoping that it will be more successful in the ground.

2 comments:

  1. I continue to be impressed by your ability to retain the names of your sempervivum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps with them being in pots, but I have a trick for planted stuff (not just the semps) and that is to take a photo of the flower bed and label that on the computer. That way when I loose the labels, or they fade, I can refer to the photo plan.

      Delete