Wednesday 1 June 2011

The wait is over

Back at the start of March I posted on the return of  the Eremurus stenophyllus planted in the dry bed. The post said that I had yet to get it to flower, but after 3 years the wait is over. This was it last week:


No need to ask why it's also known as the fox tail lily.  The flower stalk sat like this for weeks with the individual flowers not actually opening. I was beginning to wonder if it was one of those that waits until it is totally ready and then everything opens at exactly the same time. Then today the bottom row of flowers finally opened.


Hopefully they will stay open for a few days to allow more to open, giving a more dramatic yellow to the whole flower.  You have to look closely at the moment to notice them, although the flower does look great against the yuccas


It is probably because I have been watering the dry bed this spring that it is flowering.  It seems the rain we normally get has headed over to parts of the USA.  As I feel it is important to get the plants going, I have been watering the bed every now and then.  It seems I really shouldn't have planted it in the dry bed.

7 comments:

  1. Yay! How exciting...and for what it's worth I would love to send you some of our rain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks but just for one year you can keep the rain. It has been strange reading about all the rain you have been having, while we have had the driest spring on record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is soooo pretty and worth the wait! I hope it will bloom for you every year now! Talk about rain we had the worst thunder/lighting rain storms today! Crazy weather. We actually had a tornado alert here in Sacramento. They predicted nickel to quarter size hail to fall here so I went outside and covered all my succulent pots. The last time it hailed it put poke marks all over my beauties. Not this time. It did hail but not that big!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully now it has flowered once it will get better each year. Hail is a worry for succulent fans isn't it. A friend had all his prized pristine agaves marked in a hail storm last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I got some in the covered market on Saturday as a present for my Mum. Hope having them as cut flowers isn't sacrilegious?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a good idea - must nip outside with a pair of scissors and put that one in a vase!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it is sacrilegious if there are lots of them, they would be great in a vase. But it is different when it is the only flower, so hands off Titchy!

    ReplyDelete